5.04.2015

Positive

16 weeks with #2

And now for a very long story about finding out. There are many mentions of periods (or the lack there of, so if that makes you squeamish, proceed with caution.)

Getting pregnant with Seth was a struggle. Ovulation just doesn't come natural to me, and after exhausting a lot of the typical fertility drugs, we were one cycle away from moving on to IVF. Luckily, the second IUI attempt took, and held, and brought us Seth.

Near the end of December, after Seth had turned one, I started feeling like it was time to see a doctor about getting the fertility process started again for baby #2. I hadn't had a period in 4 months, and knew that if nothing else, I needed to get that taken care of. I went into this prepared for a year to two year long process, so I wanted to start slow. I asked my doctor if I could just start with Metformin, a drug they use to treat PCOS, but not an actual fertility drug. I wanted to get acclimated to that drug before adding in any additional fertility drugs to see if the Metformin gave Clomid and the other fertility drugs a better shot than they had last time.

My doctor prescribed the Metformin, along with a drug to induce a period, since going many months without one is not a healthy thing to do. I remember her telling me I should get a period within two weeks. I was on the drug for a week, and a week later nothing had happened. I thought that maybe I'd misheard the doctor and that I should get a period two weeks after finishing the medication. So I waited another week. And still nothing. By then, I was deep into taking the Metformin and feeling unbelievably nauseous and miserable and nauseous (worse than any pregnancy nausea I had ever experienced with Seth). I called my doctor to ask her when I should expect a period because at this point, I had no clue, and mostly to tell her that the Metformin was brutal and I needed to reduce the dosage.

I was surprised when she was surprised that I hadn't had a period yet. Not having a period is normal to me though, so my immediate thought was that something was wrong with me and this just went right along with the pattern. She said we should do some labs to figure out what is wrong, but asked that before we do the labs, I take a pregnancy test. I scoffed at this idea. The cause of the mysteriously absent period is not due to pregnancy, because for me, it never is. I'd taken a pregnancy test a few months ago when my period failed to return after seeing it resurface briefly after I stopped nursing, and as usual, I'd gotten those hopes up. It's those hopes that you tell yourself to keep down, but rise exponentially as the seconds tick by while you wait to check the stick for two little lines. Well after taking two just to be sure a few months ago, I was not interested in inviting that briefly lived hope back into my life. I told her I'd call her back in a bit with negative results so we could schedule the labs.

I was working from home this day, and had an errand to run at lunch time. On our way home, Seth and I stopped by a drug store to grab a pregnancy test. Once we got home... I stalled. I put Seth down for a nap. I got some work done. I picked up toys off the ground. Then I decided that I should just take it. And then I realized I should probably drink a gallon of water.

So I take the test. And my mind started doing that mean trick. The one where you start thinking.. well maybe? You see, after going through the fertility treatments the first time around, I started getting pretty good at noticing signs of ovulation. They didn't happen very often, so it was clear when things seemed different. Well, a few weeks prior to this test taking, I had noticed those signs. I thought that was interesting, but didn't pay much attention to it because I wasn't in that "trying to conceive" place yet. I hadn't even gone to my first doctor's appointment. It was going to be the very next day. When I went to see the doctor the next day to ask to be put on Metformin, she mentioned that it looked like I was likely ovulating. Again, interesting. But again, I wasn't "trying" yet. I was "preparing" to start "trying" soon. So as I'm waiting for those minutes to tick by, my mean mind is telling me that it.. is.. possible. But I've seen my fair share of negative tests, so I tried to keep my emotions balanced and ready for the inevitable.

I went to check on the test, and at first glance, I saw one big bold pink line. "Nope," I thought. "Not pregnant." I leaned down to pick it up and realized, there was actually a faint line next to it. This was the moment when my mouth dropped and my hand jumped to cover my shock. And I just stood there. So still. Whispering to myself, "pregnant... I'm pregnant. I'm pregnant!" Jason would be home in 2 hours, and would react very similarly to me. Utter shock. Utter joy. The realization and relief that this time we got to skip out on the stressful ups and downs of "trying", and the cost of fertility drugs.

When we struggled getting pregnant with Seth, so many people told us they knew someone who went through that with their first and then didn't have any trouble with their second. I'd hoped that would be the case, but was skeptical, and for that reason, decided not to return to any preventative measures after Seth was born. Which means that after I stopped nursing Seth, over the course of 5 months, I likely ovulated just once. And amazingly, once was all it took.

2 comments:

  1. Such a cool story! I am so happy for you! Do you know the gender or are you going to find out? What an incredible blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! Congratulations on your new little one, and thank you for sharing the story! "So many" people may have a similar experience after struggling with fertility, but that doesn't diminish the wonder of the two pink lines. I hope you get over the nausea soon, and enjoy every minute of the months ahead.

    ReplyDelete