5.06.2013

Cinco de Mayo


We kicked off our Day of the Battle of Puebla festivities with a morning hike. It's one of those hikes that is not overly strenuous, and easy for kids, but still feels like you've burned enough calories to gorge yourself later on....which we did. Plus it was pretty. And that's all that counts.
After our hike (and a pit stop at our lot which has officially been excavated) we headed over to my straight-out-of-Mexico-sister-in-law's house who treated us to the most delicious carne asada and al pastor tacos. I'm not very adventurous with my food but those al pastor tacos with pineapple have risen to the top of my list of "Ultimate Food Combinations" second only to peanut butter and chocolate because please, their position will never be usurped.
We played a very rousing game of Loteria which is essentially bingo. But since my sister-in-law called out the spanish words quickly, one after the other, it left us non-Spanish speakers scrambling to find the matches in an anxious dash. I lost. La Sandia did me in.
Because no fiesta is complete without horchata, we made sure to have a lot of it. A few people asked for the recipe, so here it is from Adriana herself.
"Ummm, well I kind of just dump the ingredients in there and keep adding more until it tastes right."
Don't worry guys. I wouldn't leave you hanging. So I turned up the heat and this is what I got (with some of my own interpretation added in).

Horchata
1 1/2 cups rice
2 cups water
1 can of evaporated milk
1 Cinnamon stick (or ground cinnamon... I don't know.. a few teaspoons?)
2 quarts water (start small, add to taste)
1/2 cup sugar (start small, add to taste)

Soak the rice in hot water for 4 hours. (Four hours!? Don't want to plan ahead? You can use rice flour instead.) Blend the soaked rice. Pour the blended rice and evaporated milk into a pitcher. Fill pitcher with water and sugar. (The sweeter the better I say. Start small and add until the sweetness is right for you.) Add cinnamon. Mix well and avoid drinking the goopy stuff at the bottom. Throw in some ice to chill and provecho!

5 comments:

  1. oooh horchata... mmmm. and i live for al pastor tacos so... yum. sounds like you did up cinco de mayo in the very best way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! Avocado is my absolute favourite, so Mexican food is always at the top of my list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the horchata recipe! It's one of my favorite drinks but never knew how to make it. And thanks for visiting my blog too!
    xx Allie | A Song to Pass the Time

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like a gorgeous place to hike! I've never heard of horchata but judging by the ingredients... yum! Thanks for visiting my blog :)

    ReplyDelete