4.29.2013

Who Is to Blame?

In the movie theater, my dad leaned over half an hour into Sixth Sense and whispered to my mom, "He's dead." Movie ruined or intellect validated?

So, now I can blame my bad habits on my dad. And on Encyclopedia Brown. I devoured these books as a kid. They were a series of short stories with subtle clues in each. The intention was that the reader would solve the mystery. Well, this developed a terrible need to figure out the ending of every story as quickly as possible. I've ruined movies for Jason more than once. But how else can I prove how quickly I figured out the end result if I don't have him to give an accurate time stamp? I also do this with books. Though the only person who suffers from the quick deductive reasoning is me. I'll read and read and read and finally get to a good twist and find myself disappointed because I guessed right. Is it too late to change professions? I think I'll become a private eye. Except I'll dress less like Emerson Cod and more like Charlotte Charles.

... I miss that show. They always had good twists. And the occasional song. You can never go wrong with an outburst of singing.

7 comments:

  1. lol... I do this also, I have NO idea why though. I have had to learn to not say anything during a movie if I'm watching it with my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the same way! Then I really ruin the movie for myself because now I am bored! Lol. If I say something to my hubby he usually works out different scenarios on how it can play out. Usually, I am right. The Sixth Sense, my mom did the same thing 30 minutes in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss that show too! Loved Pushing Daisies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hated going to movies with my dad. He would always dissect them and lean over and tell me how this is inaccurate or that is unrealistic. Ugh! It drove me crazy...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Embarrassingly enough, I have always been a brainless TV and movie watcher. It's pretty rare that I think enough about the show to solve the mystery before the end. Even though I used to pretend with my best friend on recess that we were Mary Kate and Ashley: detectives.

    Maybe, just maybe instead of ruining the movies for your husband BUT for the sake of showing off your intellect, you could write down on a slip of paper (time-stamped, of course) your guess for how the movie ends and show him after. Or not. :)

    The Brayn of Chalayn

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm pretty sure I did that in the sixth sense too - without really realizing I was spoiling it! I think I said it like hmm, I think he might be dead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knew you would eventually blog this!
    Dad

    ReplyDelete