2.12.2013

The Needle Saga

Before I started the daily injection treatment, a nurse sat Jason and I down and walked us through how to mix and inject the drugs. As I am not particularly fond of needles, Jason was going to do that part. The nurse assured me that the needle was very small and couldn’t do any damage.

So on the first night, we got everything out and laid it on the counter. A few vials, a few alcohol swabs, the syringe, and the needle. We mixed the drugs, filled the syringe, and picked up the needle to place it on the syringe. I pulled off the cap to then rid the syringe of any excess air. The needle was MASSIVE! I looked at Jason in a state of panic. “It’s too big! Why is it so big? It’s not supposed to be that big.” Jason tried to remain calm and reassure me that we could do this. I was starting to think I wouldn’t be able to go through with this treatment. “Just put it in half way,” I said. “No, more like a quarter,” Jason laughed at me.

As my nervousness rose, I started to think there was too much air in the syringe so as I tried to get rid of it I was slowly but surely getting rid of the actual drug. In a moment of exasperation I decided we should just start all over and I dumped the drugs down the drain.

I went to recap the needle but noticed there was something in the way of the opening. I couldn’t get it out, so Jason took it and much to our surprise, unveiled the much smaller needle that my doctor’s office had given us. Turns out the syringes came with very large needles that needed to be switched out, but when we went to replace the needle after filling the syringe, we grabbed the original one rather than the small one.

We filled the new syringe, used the right needle, and it all went off without a hitch.

When we looked back and compared the two needles we had to laugh that we even for a second considered doing the injection with the first needle. It would have turned into a bloody mess. I still laugh every time I look at this ridiculous picture.


Let this be a lesson to all the doctors and nurses out there- maybe it’s best to give overly specific instructions. It’s okay, treat me as if I don’t know anything… because I probably don’t.

22 comments:

  1. Ooooooo, ow. That looks sore! Pleased to hear you found the right needle in the end - phew!
    Hey thanks for visiting my blog and following! Right back at ya lovely lady :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh.

    this terrifies me more than you can ever know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One word . Ouch xx

    1stepclosereveryday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woah! That is a huge difference! I'm glad you figured it out before it caused any unnecessary damage. You are a brave lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Needles are the worst thing.. I flinch when I see anyone on television getting an injection! I could never administer myself one without being sick!

    thenotrichgirl.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, I am CRINGING like mad at that big needle. SO glad that isn't the one you have to use!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i think i just threw up. thank GOODNESS you didn't use that needle

    ReplyDelete
  8. AAGGGGHHHH! That picture is awesome. (But seriously, I think I just developed an aversion to needles.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had no problems with needles. I totally do now.

    Thanks for that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ew, yikes. So happy you found out before it was too late. I would totally be freaking out too.

    www.thebeanandbear.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. holy moly that needle is definitely big. i don't have a problem getting injected but i would have a problem doing it myself or having my husband doing it for me

    ReplyDelete
  12. Eww! I would for sure be scared of that needle! Just found you from the hop! New follower, obv because of this needle story! lol ;)
    sincerelyarizona.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh! I have nothing to say but if you could see the look on my face now. Yikes! Thanks for visiting my blog, can't wait to get to know each other better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! I'm stopping by to follow you back :)

    -Kacie @ mommaexpeience.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. OH MY WORD. I am terrified of needles and this post freaked me out. I am so glad you figured out how to switch the needles out! I hate it when doctors (and orthodontists, in my current situation) just assume that you know what you're doing when you don't. Annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That...is....terrifying. YIKES!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. holy helllll. I would've died .... I HATE needles and that looks like a knitting needle. Sweet baby J.

    thank goodness you saw the light. I hope the little one doesn't hurt very much!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yeah I had the same issue when I first started injections - I completely missed the whole smaller needle and was freaking out at the larger one. Even thought we had the class, I still had to watch YouTube videos just to calm myself down to make sure that I was doing it right.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I did injects to get pregnant. I was scared to death of needles. Hubby did the majority of them for me. Then one night he had to do an overnight at work. The day before I tried to do it myself and ended up balling my eyes out. I drove to his work for him to give me the shot. I told him I wanted to try it myself once and if I couldn't do it he could. He actually said the right thing this time that just calmed me down. "It won't hurt any more than when I give you the shot." I found the spot to inject, held it slightly above the skin, looked away and went for it. To be honest it hurt less then when my husband used to do the injections for me. I know that that isn't for anyone, but when you get more used to it (I know thats not really what you want to hear, getting used to something that sucks so badly) try givng yourself the injection. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yikes girl! I can't imagine had you used the huge one!!!

    ReplyDelete