2.28.2013

Gluttony

We were already lucky enough to have a Cafe Rio up in Denver, but a brand new Cafe Rio just opened down the road. So naturally, we went out to dinner with our friends Chris and Ashley to celebrate its opening. They had just gone down to the Denver Cafe Rio 3 days ago, but they were more than ready to go again. There is no such thing as too much Cafe Rio. Though, I think my stomach would disagree. I opted for the pork burrito this time around. Which was a mistake. And I ate the whole thing. Which was also a mistake. But I have a feeling that 24 hours from now I will be ready for more. Though, I think I'll stick with the pork salad for awhile. (Let's be honest, the salad tortillas are so much better.)

I had every intention of documenting our delicious dinner. For posterity. That's why we take so many pictures of our food, right? So that 50 years from now our grandchildren will stare at pictures of slightly less processed foods than they will be eating. Unless the Zombie Apocalypse really does happen and they are living off the land and eating squash and pheasant. Then they'd be waaay healthier than us and we would go down in history for being the chunkiest chumps around. Can you tell I've been watching way too much Walking Dead lately? Where was I. Oh. Yes. Pictures of food...  I'd be willing to bet, if you opened up Instagram and searched #caferio, you'd be able to see a ton of pictures that would have been identical to mine. And if you are fortunate enough to live within a 50 mile radius of a Cafe Rio, you count your lucky stars and don't take it for granted. In fact, if a Zombie Apocalypse does happen, my first order of business would be to order a year supply of sweet pork barbacoa. Those homemade recipes are good, but you always get a hint of carbonation from the coke and that is just gross. Who wants to eat carbonated pork? No one. Bubbly pork is possibly the worst thing you could come up with. 

Moral of the story: Don't make homemade sweet pork, no matter how many times you've seen that recipe repinned on Pinterest.

Moral of the story #2: Don't eat the whole burrito. Cafe Rio is one of the few things that is just as delicious on day 2.

More of the story #3: Watch out for walkers. Those zombies may just try to steal your sweet pork. Maybe just keep a crossbow in your trunk just to be safe. 

18 comments:

  1. Can you believe I've never eaten at Cafe Rio? We don't have them here and I definitely feel like I'm missing out!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I made homemade cafe rio this week for dinner. It was good but not cafe rio, that's for sure. Are you all caught up with the Walking Dead? We are obsessed and talk about being in the situation all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have me hungry and craving Cafe Rio. I wonder if homemade sweet pork made with a flat coke would make a difference...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehe! "Don't eat the whole burrito" is a lesson I still have not learned. Probably once a week I moan and whine, "why did I eat the whole thiiinnggg?"
    I also make a lot of decisions based on the impending/hypothetical zombie apocalypse. Documenting wonderful food for this sake is a great idea! ;)
    XO, Rachel
    With Love, Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for your sweet comment and following me!!! It definitely made my day. I wanted to comment and let you know I am your newest follower and can wait to read your blog and get to know you!

    Amber @ My Life Unmasked

    ReplyDelete
  6. unfortunately, i live miles and miles from cafe rio, and so homemade pinterest recipes it is. and the one i made was pretty darn good. it wasn't cafe rio, but it also wasn't carbonated. sigh...to have the real thing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Cafe Rio. So so good. I swear even the soft drinks are better there.

    I'm with you on the food storage sweet pork initiative. Let's do it.

    Brooke
    silverliningtheblog.com.

    PS I'm your newest fan and follower from the blog hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm, now I want some Cafe Rio! Haha...

    New follower here- found ya through Aloha Friday! =)

    -Leia @ latitudeadjustment1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. A few weeks ago your mother exclaimed, "I just want to eat beautiful food." I looked down at my chile relleno and remarked, "This looks pretty gorgeous to me."
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok, it's only 6 in the morning where I am and now I'm starving for dinner.

    I'm a new follower; I adore you and your lovely blog.

    xo Ami
    a champagne dream

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there! I'm a new follower from the Blog Hop. I'd love a follow back at www.sugarplumsandlollipops.blogspot.com and Pinterest! I follow all of my Pinterest followers :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmm.....Cafe Rio and Costa Vida will NEVER go out of style. And, if they do, I will go out of style with them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Pinterest recipes. I've had my heart broken a few times over them :)
    Well I'm your newest follower via Aloha! Can't wait to get to know you more!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the caution!

    Stopping by from the Friday Hop to say hello.
    Have a great weekend!
    POSH

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have learned not to do Pinterest! I did a several pinterst activities and they all went horrible!

    www.trendinginfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. My Hubby prevents me from taking home leftovers - he is a bottomless pit :) I do agree though- some things are just so much better the 2nd day!

    I wanted to invite you to join in our weekly Meet & Greet Blog Hop! It runs Friday nights till the end of Monday, come link up if you have time this weekend :)

    http://createdbylaurie.blogspot.com/2013/03/weekend-meet-greet-blog-hop-16_1.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. cafe rio & walking dead...2 of my favorite things!! haha and i am TOTALLY with you on the eating a whole burrito thing. i have done that too many times, my friend.

    new follower :)

    www.fivefootseven.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Rebecca!Sorry for the very late post. Thank you for following me and the Blog Hop posting. I love your blog...I wear purple eyeliner too :) Carell at livfrugalblogspot.com

    ReplyDelete