11.28.2012

The Woes of a Picky Eater

I am what they call a "Picky Eater." (Though I find that name offensive and I prefer to use the term "highly selective.") People like to judge me. It's because I haven't tried that tomato enough, or my parents failed me as a child. False and double false. I'm sorry, but it does not matter how many times I try salmon and how many different ways you prepare it, I cannot convince my taste buds to participate in my culinary excursions.

Many people try to convince me to try something. "Here, it's delicious, just take a little bite. You might like it." I assure you that I will always adamantly decline. If I feel like trying something and have a spurt of bravery I'll say "Let me try that." And then I will. And usually, I hate it. (Except for that one time I finally tried that gross looking green stuff they call guacamole. Mind blown.)

I'd also like to set the record straight. I am not declining your generous food offering because I lack the adventure bone. I am declining your offer because I am gravely concerned that I JUST MIGHT THROW UP ON YOU.

It's not just the taste buds that force me to be "highly selective," it's my gag reflex. And if you offer me another mushroom, my gag reflex is going to get angry with you.

Now, you have been warned. You DO NOT want my gag reflex on your bad side.

10 comments:

  1. This post is brilliant and soo true! I know so many people who would agree with you...I'm one of your dreaded kind of people, trying to encourage the less adventurous "to just try a little"...

    I find the most common foods I love and others fear and despise are;

    Tomato
    Avo
    Mushrooms
    Aubergine

    My fiancée says I must be grateful he hates all the above, more for me;)

    Lulu x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh Rebecca, you had me laughing out loud with this one!! I've seen your reaction so many times to our insistence around the dinner table that you just "give it a little try." haha!! I'll try not to keep pushing my "masterpieces" off on you - it's just that you never know when one of these days you might just find one more thing to add to your current list of 4 things you'll eat!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's the tricky part about it. I'll either love it or throw up. It's a risky decision!

      Delete
  3. Haha my son is also a picky eater! He hates eating rice, but loves pizza & bread. Its not easy persuading a picky eater, so I understand what you're talking about. Haha ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. True story. When our family visited NYC to enjoy our favorite Chinese restaurant, Ollies. Prior to entering we would by a hot dog from the stand across the street. We'd enter the restaurant and while we partook of delicious scallion pancakes, green beans with brown sauce and Mu Shu Pork, Rebecca would delight herself with her juicy culinary dog, only Ketchup please. I never got after her for I was a picky eater in my younger years too. Picky eaters unite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha, well, I doooooo judge picky eaters, but I too despise tomatoes. I really want to like them - I mean, I like mozzerella and basil....it looks pretty paired with the two - but seriously, they taste disgusting. If so much as a diced piece gets in my bite, that's all I can taste.

    Also, I had the same experience with guacamole! March 2007, I'll never forget. ;)

    (Thanks for your comment, btw!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am the pickiest eater EVER so I totally feel you on this. I love the "I cannot convince my taste buds to participate in my culinary excursions" line.

    I don't think I have ever met anyone as picky as I was so I would be interested to know what you are picky about!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not too terribly picky but I do know what you mean about certain foods. For example I will never eat beets. I just can't get my head around them. I'm not even sure I know what they taste like but I still refuse to try them. Something about beets is just uber gross to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gag reflex! Thanks for the validation my fellow finicky friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mushrooms...yuck...can't take the texture! :) My friend is highly selective too, and we do try to convince her to try things...I will have to be a little more sensitive from now on! Thanks for stopping by my blog and following! :)
    LA :)
    www.simplysmilingblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete