10.25.2010

an endless battle

i cannot even begin to tell you how many times a month i get called rachel. and every time, i politely correct the incorrect person, "oh, it's rebecca actually." and every time, they knew that. often, it's someone who has known me for sometime and multiple times has addressed me by rebecca, but on this occasion slips up and calls me rachel. and then they are embarrassed, and then i tell them that this mistake happens all the time, that people interchange rebecca and rachel as though they were yams and sweet potatoes. which are basically the same thing, whereas rebecca and rachel are most definitely not. i could understand calling greg, craig. or alyssa, alicia (i mean, that's even a stretch). rebecca and rachel don't even sound alike. they begin with R and both contain a C and an E.

i could go on. but then i would start to sound like it bothers me. it really doesn't bother me. it really just amazes me that on a consistant bases i get called rachel. sometimes i respond to it, too embarrassed for the other person to correct them. one time over the summer, i let someone call me rachel all day. it wasn't until a meeting in the afternoon that someone else corrected them. i guess i could have saved her more embarrassment by correcting her earlier.. oh well.

i just really felt as though this issue should be addressed before it becomes a serious epidemic.

does this happen for any other names? and what i really want to know is do rachels have the same problem?

15 comments:

  1. welcome to my world! (marissa, marisa...) ok, not quite the same situation. rachel and rebecca are like not even close. just ignore it, rachel. they'll figure it out eventually. jk. i bet if you started going by becca again you wouldn't have this problem. (p.s. you will always be becca to me, sorry.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some people over a certain age can't call me Barbie. They always call me Barbara. I don't like Barbara, but never correct them because they are older and they never grew up knowing a Barbie, only a Barbara. I just smile and answer.

    Can't explain the Rachel/Rebecca thing. And I'm not a good one to comment here because I forget EVERYONES name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to be called Rebecca sometimes lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really don't get how anyone could confuse the two! That boggles my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm Alyssa. But have learnt to answer to Alicia and Melissa.

    It sometimes bugs me, like why cant people take the time to learn your name. But then i just giggle and think how silly they sound when everyone knows they are wrong :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. people call me rebecca. which doesn't sound like caitlin at all in the slightest. even my mother calls me rebecca. and she's known me a while.

    ReplyDelete
  7. People call me all kinds of H-names. Mostly Holly or Heather. And surprisingly, I get called Katie a whole lot. I guess people think I look like a Katie. RANDOM.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally understand how you feel. i get Georgiana ALL the time, also Doriana, Gloria and even Giovanna. In fact a co-worker call me Georgiana all the way through a meeting the other day, and I never corrected her. I too get tired of correcting people. Seriously- how hard is it?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My name is Rachel and my sister's name is Rebecca. School teachers confused us endlessly...

    ReplyDelete
  10. My name is real tough for people. It takes 'em a while to learn it and I have heard it butchered so, so, so many times. Charlene, Charlayn, Chehalis, Kailin, Sheila, Shallyn, Chin, and more. And I get it. It's different. But I don't understand why people would call you Rachel. :)
    Your new follower,
    Chalayn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Guess what! I'm Rachel--one of my sisters is named Rebekah...And I've been called Rebekah frequently throughout my life. I think people think... "Old fashioned name...starts with R....has to be one of the two!"

    ReplyDelete
  12. My name is Rebecca and my best Friends name is Rachael. Most of the time our friends and even her husband switch up our names. I got so used to people randomly calling me Rachael, that I started to react to it as if it were my real name. I don't really mind it, I find it funny :) My Boss and coworkers call me Rachael at least twice a day. I am originally from Germany and back home that never happened to me, but when I moved to the States it occurred very often. I guess its the two most common female names starting with an R, so people do not put enough thought in distinguishing the two.

    ReplyDelete
  13. THIS IS MY LIFE'S STORY!! i am a Rebecca but get called rachel ALL THE TIME TOO. i too have started answering to it because i just assume someone is just saying my name incorrectly..... i also have been on the life long search to find a Rachel who gets called Rebecca.... havent found her yet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha! I know this is an old thread, but I got so sick of being called Rebecca today that I googled "rachel confused with rebecca" and up came this :) So, yes it does happen the other way, and oh-my-chaos I also don't understand why!
    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  15. Found this by Googling, but hello! I'm Rachel, and I get Rebecca ALL THE TIME. It happens the other way around too. I guess people think "Old Testament name, starts with an R..." and in the Bible Rebecca is Rachel's mother-in-law, but still, ALL THE TIME. Do I look like a Rebecca, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete